Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanks but no

"Who?!" The word shot out of my mouth in a high soprano and at bullet speed. 


 "Roy. The guy on the 4th floor." My coworker's eyes danced and her voice rung tenderly. "Don't you think he's cute? You should date him."


I stood there in stunned silence for a second or two. Once I found my voice,  I said something to the effect of "Thanks but no."


While I am single and waiting/looking, Roy didn't show up on my radar for two reasons. 


Reason #1: We work together. Now, I have seen people succeed at turning a fellow employee into a mate. My aunt and uncle actually met at their job and still work together. So did my parents, come to think of it. But for every fairytale work romance, there are five horror stories.


There's also the unique situation of healing heartache. I know my heart better than anyone else except God. And both He and I know that seeing my heartbreaker five days a week would make any emotional bruises heal at a snail's pace. 


Reason #2: He's not my type. I don't expect to find the perfect man but I'd like him to have some of the qualities I'm looking for. I know that he'll come with flaws but hopefully, they'll be flaws I can live with.  Roy comes with one that's a dealbreaker : Arrogance. When I speak with him for a project or task, I get the feeling that he's dumbing down his speech. His head is always held high as if he's wearing an invisible crown. It can be intimidating but I just see it as annoying.


 My matchmaking coworker told me she tried to introduce the Roy possibility to another young single coworker who shut her down...for all my reasons and then some. The matchmaker rattled off a list of reasons of why we should take Roy off the market:


"He's cute."
"He has a gorgeous smile."
"He's cut because he plays soccer. "


I smiled and refused again while walking back to my desk. A short time afterwards, Roy passes by my desk on his way somewhere else. He's wearing a scent that is heavy and sweet and lingers in my space long after he turns the corner. A minute later, my phone rings with an update from the matchmaker:


"And he smells good."


I burst into laughter. While that's a wonderful thing, it's still thanks but no. 




1 comment:

Joe said...

Matchmakers huh? Jenesis I guess the thing that is even more funny is that people always tend to think you (single people) need to be matched up with the first thing smoking, not caring to ask us what we want in a person or the things we care about. LOL this is so funny because I have been bitten by the matchmaker many times. And I agree workplace romance, um not so much lol.