Thursday, May 27, 2010

Battles

My office has been transformed into a war zone. 

Abigail's words turned into croaks. Red quickly flooded her eyes, and tears collected in the corners, threatening to spill down her cheeks.  Sadness was etched all over her face. The director of my department sat before me, drenched in defeat.

For the past year, she has not gotten along with Regina, the editor-in-chief of our publication. Their battles are legendary. Phone calls so loud that they can be heard beyond the closed door. Fiery e-mails that clog in-boxes. Open disdain when in the presence of one another.  It was common knowledge that the two hate each other. 

Not dislike.

Hate.

And now, it looks like that hate is going to destroy Abigail, professionally and emotionally. The discord between the two has unintentionally drawn battle lines. Some coworkers are on Regina's side, catering to her cause while undermining Abigail. Others are on Abigail's side, having experienced the nastiest side of Regina's attitude and believing that this fall-out is a result of not bending to ridiculous demands. 

It even appears that those who Abigail answers to have made their pick. They told her not to take Regina on because
she.

would.

NOT.

win. 

"I really want to quit," she said wearily, her cry making her voice crack. My heart breaks as I look her and I feel so helpless.

But...

I know Somebody who isn't.  

I am going to join the battle----- the spiritual one.

 It occurred to me that this is not truly between Abigail and Regina but unseen forces, greedy to see them both destroyed

Since that day in her office, I pray daily to the Father, asking Him to bring justice and fairness, for peace to return to her personal and work life, and most of all, for her relationship with Him. Jesus definitely uses twists of life to introduce Himself to a daughter who forgot Him. 

Instead of firing a bullet, I will keep whispering prayers until something breaks through. 


And something will.  

--- "O Lord, oppose those who oppose me. Fight those who fight against me. Put on Your armor, and take up Your shield. Prepare for battle, and come to my aid."
-Psalm 35:1-2


1 comment:

Joe said...

YOu keep on praying prayer warrior. You truly have a heart for God and praying for others.